Shared Research – Pitch In!
There are 1,220 TIFs in Illinois inside of 455 municipalities. In 2010 they extracted $1.12 BILLION in property taxes from taxpayers across the state. What do we know, collectively, about all this economic activity? Precious little.
We need YOU to become a TIF Illuminator and help shed light on this economic transfer system that takes from the many and gives to the few.
What you can do:
ANYWHERE IN AMERICA:
- Sign our online petition to demand that all TIF activity be placed on the property tax bill. If you have a property inside a TIF district, your tax bill should say so and tell you how much of your property taxes that TIF collected.
Go to http://signon.org/sign/put-tax-increment-finance - please CIRCULATE this link and ask your friends to sign.
IF YOU ARE IN ILLINOIS:
- To become a TIF Illuminator and take on some of the shared research, go to this page on the Illinois Comptroller’s Office web siteand click on “View Submitted TIF Reports” and pick your town or city. Make sure you are starting with the 2011 year. Next download the TIF reports from that city.
- Visit this shared Google Spreadsheet page for full instructions! http://tinyurl.com/Illinois-TIF-Research
IF YOU ARE IN CHICAGO:
- Help investigate the TIF funded projects in the 27th Ward! Go to this Google Spreadsheet and pick one project and sign up to Illuminate it! http://tinyurl.com/27thWard-Shared-Research
- If we all pitch in, we can swiftly illuminate the REAL story behind the $454 MILLION property taxes that Chicago’s TIF districts collected in 2011!
We are all volunteers but we have BIG plans for the TIF Illumination Project. We’d like to print and distribute at least 5,000 copies of our ward maps and TIF summaries in EACH ward as we complete our investigation of that ward. We intend to meet with community groups and share this information with them. Sound ambitious? Sure, but it’s OUR money and if we don’t watch out how it’s used and abused, who will?