TIF Town Meetings
The TIF Illumination Project is investigating and explaining the impacts (money out, money in) on a ward-by-ward basis in Chicago. In 2012 (the latest year we have data for) there were 154 TIF districts and they extracted $457 million in property taxes from the property owners of Chicago.
People all over the city are stepping to organize TIF Town Meetings in their areas. We are doing this a ward-by-ward basis. If you would like to become a TIF Illuminator or donate time or funds to this all volunteer effort, please donate here and use the contact form below to reach us.
SO FAR WE HAVE ILLUMINATED 152 TIFs INSIDE 26 WARDS. OVER 1,600 PEOPLE HAVE ATTENDED THESE MEETINGS.
“You have my profound thanks for all of your work on this project; some Alderman have served decades in the City Council managing to perform far less public service than you have in spearheading this project.” – From an organizer of the 49th Ward Illumination. [Thanks, it's a team effort!]
LISTEN TO THESE TIF ILLUMINATORS SAY WHY THEY GOT INVOLVED WITH THIS PROJECT!
UPCOMING TIF TOWN MEETINGS
- “TIF 101″ workshop. Tom Tresser lays it all out for you. Open enrollment. 90 minutes at the CivicLab. Check our EventBrite schedule of workshops for the next version of this class.
- Here is a 30 minute “TIF 101″ presentation from September 2013. If you find it useful, please consider tipping the project using the contribution tool at Vimeo.
- We will be re-imagining these presentations so if you are interested in booking an Illumination for your ward, email us or use the form at the bottom of this page.
RECENT TIF TOWN MEETINGS
*DePaul Stadium Forum at DePaul Student Activity Center, October 3. Students organized this forum and asked for an Illumination of the 17 TIFs in the 2nd Ward.
*Lakeside Development CBA Summit – The Alliance of the SouthEast called a town meeting to discuss how to influence the massive planned development for the site of the U.S. Steel plant on September 7.
* TIF Town Meeting in Oak Park, August 25 – Details @ http://tinyurl.com/TIF-Forum-Aug-25.
* August 8 – The 33rd Ward & Albany Park – Details @ http://tinyurl.com/
Aldermen Deb Mell and Ray Colon attended the meeting. After community members testified to the devastating impacts of the announced school cuts the Aldermen were asked to sign a giant check made out the public schools, drawn on the city’s TIF account. They both pledged to return TIF funds to the schools and signed!
*August 7 – The TIFs of Little Village. A presentation made to the leadership of Latinos Progresando.
*July 18 – Logan Square. Details @ http://tinyurl.com/
* July 1 – Rogers Park (49th Ward) – Details @ http://tinyurl.com/TIF-Present-7-1.
Here is the presentation – the audio is 55 minutes long. Over 100 people packed the meeting space at Loyola Park!
Someone in the audience posted a series of short YouTube videos capturing most of the presentation.
Here is the presentation. The audio is 45 minutes long.
* June 5 – Bridgeport & McKinley Park (11th & 12th Wards) – Details @ http://tinyurl.com/TIF-Forum-June-5. The audio is 59 minutes long. We promise that it is entertaining! Read coverage from Progress Illinois and DNAinfo Chicago.
Here is the 4th Ward presentation. The audio is 58 minutes.
* April 11 – Uptown Community (46th Ward) – Details @ http://tinyurl.com/
[download a flier] Here is the presentation on the six TIFs inside the 46th ward. The audio track is 51 minutes.
Here is the presentation on the 14 TIFs inside the 8th and 9th wards. The audio track is 47 minutes long.
Here is the presentation by Washington Park forum organizer Donna Smith and TIF Illuminator Tom Tresser (audio is 56 minutes):
February 12, 2013 - TIF Town Meeting @ The Chopin Theatre
The Tax Integrity and Fairness Alliance held a TIF Town Meeting at The Chopin Theater on February 12, 2013. Over 220 people attended! Here is the media coverage and Tom Tresser’s presentation materials on the results of the research into the 12 TIFs inside the 27th Ward.
Thanks to the great folks at Chicago Public Access, CAN-TV, watch this video of the three presenters plus the Q&A session (1 hour, 22 minutes).
If you would like to Illuminate the TIFs inside your ward or municipality? Call The TIF Illumination Project at 773-770-5714.
Address Street Address
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Your Ward *
Your comments, suggestions, stories about TIFs. Tell us if you’d like to help the CivicLab and the TIF Illumination Project!
in my ward